Tuesday, June 1, 2010

For The Bookshelf or Coffee Table

"Summer" reading list here, "Winter" reading list back in my other home. They've all seemed to grab my attention somehow, so now I need to go out and buy them, so I can read them. Perhaps on the plane, or during the times I'm by a pool or something. Rainy weather gives me the urge to curl up by a fireplace and read, curl up in bed and read... then fall asleep ;-P

It was nice back in elementary school days when we'd have that 'reading hour.' That was always nice. We'd have to stay silent and read the book we brought from home, the book shelf in the classroom or that we had borrowed from the library. We'd even fall asleep sometimes, whether that was permitted or not, I'll never know, seeing as no one ever came over to wake me up. I'll just say, we were allowed ;)
Make sure you’re in a comfy chair when you start Girl in Translation, the story of a Hong Kong immigrant who works in a sweatshop and graduates from Harvard. Once you start, you can’t stop. 
If you liked The Help, you’ll love The Long Song. Miss July is born a slave in Jamaica, taught to read and write, then seduced by her overseer. It’s gritty, honest, and the pages practically turn themselves.
Bad boy drama never gets old: Maureen Gibbon’s fast-paced novel about a girl who takes up with an ex-con named Alpha Breville addresses what women endure in relationships.
Golden Richards, the protagonist of The Lonely Polygamist, has four wives and 28 kids — yet you’ll relate. Even when he’s driving his hearse, peeing in the closet, and breaking up sister wives’ tiffs.

1 comment: